That runaway train...the best way to describe it is that when you pull one, it inflames the area around it. Almost like a painful itch, it makes you feel like you have to pull another one to relieve it. Then it snowballs. That is why we end up with little bald spots when we have relapses. Also the reason why I used to end up with completely bald eyelids. The more you allow just one more, the more the entire lash line is irritated. My lash line would be so red and swollen when I was done that I would literally cry from the pain. And the heartbreak. Feel free to pass this on to other lash pullers as well. They'll understand.
Eyelash and Eyebrow Pulling
Eyelash and eyebrow pulling is much more common than we realised. Initially it was thought that Trichotillomania affected mainly scalp pullers, but our online survey of over 33,000 trichsters has shown that eyelash pulling is the most prevalent. 73% of trichsters pull from their eyelashes, 72% from eyebrows and 27% from scalp. One reason these figures are so much higher is because many scalp pullers also pull from their lashes and brows, but there are many lash and brow pullers who don’t pull from their scalp.
"How can I stop pulling my eyelashes out?" Tanya asks. "I'm tired of reading pages of information about trichotillomania, I just want a simple solution."
Here are our quick tips for lash and brow pullers, based on user experience:
1. Stay away from mirrors as much as possible. Try to avoid eye contact with yourself in the mirror
2. Practice some form of relaxation or meditation
3. Avoid nicotine, caffeine, alcohol (as much as possible!) and sugar
4. Spread Vaseline or olive oil very thinly on your eyelashes and brows in the morning and after lunch. This has the added attraction of reflecting the light from your face and is in fact a make-up trick used by the stars!
5. Keep things on your fingers, like gloves, creams & oils, false nails. Painting your nails can offer temporary help when the urges are high.
6. Use a barrier on your eyes, like clear lens glasses or false lashes. Some people like to use eyelash extensions. Numbing cream like lanacane or a similar brand can be successful at reducing eyebrow urges but must never be used inside the eye.